Colonial Williamsburg®

What's New on The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's Official History and Citizenship Website



Updates from Colonial Williamsburg's Archaeology Department

July 28, 2014

An Insider’s View on Field School.

Victoria working at the Bray School Site.

Each summer Colonial Williamsburg and the College of William and Mary offer two 5-week sessions of an Archaeological Field Methods course.  For the last 3 years the field school has been focused on the Bray Site, a 1760s school for African-American children. This week, we have asked Victoria Gum to write about …

Continue Reading »

July 22, 2014

Understanding Slavery and African American History through Archaeology: The Challenges and Rewards

Archaeology plays a role in many research areas at Colonial Williamsburg, but it is an especially important component in our interpretation of slavery and African American history. Through its focus on the tangible remains of a people whose past is largely underrepresented in documents, archaeology is opening a wider window for us to examine the …

Continue Reading »

July 9, 2014

Archaeologists vs. the Elements

Rain! Why’d it have to be rain?!

For Indiana Jones it was snakes, but most archaeologists dread weather more intensely.  There are a number of conditions that give us pause. This week we came face- to-face with two of the worst: rain and heat.

Issues with heat are likely self-explanatory, but our relationship with water is more …

Continue Reading »

July 1, 2014

A Look at the Archaeology Lab.

Last week’s blog post described current excavation at the Bray Site where field school students are searching for evidence of a 1760s school for free and enslaved African American children. This week’s post brings you out of the heat, and into the lab. Associate Curator Kelly Ladd-Kostro walks readers through the next steps, once artifacts have been …

Continue Reading »

June 24, 2014

In Search of the Bray School.

Field school student Celine Alasomuka models an 18th-c wine bottle seal (2013).

During the summer months excavation reaches its peak as Colonial Williamsburg’s archaeologists are joined by students in the annual summer field school held in conjunction with the College of William and Mary.  This summer there are two excavations underway: the first is on the historic campus of the College of William and Mary (more on …

Continue Reading »

June 16, 2014

Welcome to ArchaeoLogic!

Excavation of the Capitol site 1928. Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

Archaeological Field School students excavate the site of the 1760 Bray School for African-American children (2013).

Sometime during the summer of 1928, a shovel-wielding group of laborers assembled at the east end of Duke of Gloucester Street and began digging for the foundations …

Continue Reading »

Switch to our mobile site